AVID’s Mission Statement
AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is a college-readiness system designed to increase the number of students who enroll in four-year colleges. Although AVID serves all students, it focuses on the least served students in the academic middle. The formula is simple – raise expectations of students and, with the AVID support system in place, they will rise to the challenge – AVID.org
What is AVID?
- AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination . It prepares students with academic potential, for success in advanced high school classes and in college.
- Elective class that emphasizes reading, writing, note-taking, organization, collaboration, and inquiry-based learning.
- We enroll our AVID students in at least one rigorous course, as appropriate to their potential.
- AVID uses trained tutors to conduct study seminars with the goal of supporting students with their coursework.
- Students focus on researching careers, community service, and learning interpersonal skills to become more well rounded.
AVID at Ione Jr. High School
- Now a certified campus
- 106 students – tripled in size with the addition of Mrs. White
- 90% are highly qualified
- 84% made Honor Roll
- Community service
- 34 Community/Career speakers
- 15 student college panel of our high school alumni.
Avid Tutor Training
Click below to access the AVID tutor training form and get involved in preparing the next wave of students for academic success