AVID’s Mission Statement
AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is a college-readiness system designed to increase the number of students who enroll in four-year colleges. Although AVID serves all students, it focuses on the least served students in the academic middle. The formula is simple – raise expectations of students and, with the AVID support system in place, they will rise to the challenge – AVID.org
What is AVID?
- AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination . It prepares students with academic potential, for success in advanced high school classes and in college.
- Elective class that emphasizes reading, writing, note-taking, organization, collaboration, and inquiry-based learning.
- We enroll our AVID students in at least one rigorous course, as appropriate to their potential.
- AVID uses trained tutors to conduct study seminars with the goal of supporting students with their coursework.
- Students focus on researching careers, community service, and learning interpersonal skills to become more well rounded.
AVID at Ione Jr. High School
- Now a certified campus
- 106 students – tripled in size with the addition of Mrs. White
- 90% are highly qualified
- 84% made Honor Roll
- Community service
- 34 Community/Career speakers
- 15 student college panel of our high school alumni.
Avid Tutor Training Form - PDF
Click below to access the AVID tutor training form, and get involved in preparing the next wave of students for academic success!